25 August 2008

Dele - 'I was the one clattered'

BRISTOL CITY striker Dele Adebola stressed that he was the player that was “clattered” in the incident that led to his opening goal in the 3-0 win at Coventry.

The 33-year-old target man rose to challenge for a Michael McIndoe cross with Coventry keeper Keiren Westwood.And the 6ft 3in forward, referred to by Coventry boss Chris Coleman as “probably the strongest man in the league,” won the ball and reacted first to score while Westwood remained down, concussed and with a dislocated thumb.

Coleman described referee Phil Dowd’s performance as “abysmal” after he allowed the goal to stand. But Adebola felt he was well within his rights to challenge for the ball.

He said: “I had my eyes on the ball, I’ve gone for the header and he’s come and clattered me. It dropped kindly for me and I put the ball in the back of the net. I didn’t realise he was so seriously injured.

“I committed myself and unfortunately the collision ended with the keeper coming off worse. There was no malice in it. Hopefully he’s ok.”

Coleman was sent to the stands and described the match as “Disappointing. Traumatic. Frustrating.”

City boss Gary Johnson said: “If you analyse the major incidents I think (Dowd) has got most of them right.”

Adebola was a hit with Sky Blues fans during his four and a half years at the club but now feels at home in Bristol.

He said: “I feel wanted (at City). I’ve had to, year upon year, fight my way into contention and it takes its toll. “I’ve come to Bristol and the manager has taken to me. I haven’t missed many games and it’s nice to be appreciated.”

No comments: