22 August 2008

Adebola aiming for winning return

The last time Dele Adebola turned out at Coventry City’s Ricoh Arena when Bristol City were in town he was on the wrong end of a 3-0 hiding.

Now, in the red-and-white strip of the Robins, the 6ft 3ins striker is determined to be on the winning side although he has fond memories of his five years with the Sky Blues.

He said: “I spent a good chunk of my career at Coventry and I enjoyed my time there. “Unfortunately, it was mainly fighting against relegation.

“We had a couple of good seasons when we finished higher up, but a great set of lads changed nearly every year. A new manager would come in and ship out a new set, so I’ve seen a lot of faces and made some good friends.”

Since Adebola’s departure from Coventry in January, the managerial merry-go-round has continued with Iain Dowie making way for Chris Coleman.

The former Fulham boss saved the club from relegation by a single point last season but is aiming for much more this term after recruiting strikers Clinton Morrison, from Crystal Palace, and Freddy Eastwood, from Wolves.

“They’ve started well and have got a strong squad but we’re going there to try to get three points,” said Adebola.

The Nigerian target man endeared himself to the Coventry faithful with a goal in the last game at the old Highfield Road ground – and another in the first game at the new one, against QPR.

“At least I’ll be remembered there for something,” he said. “I hope I’ve given them a reason for a good reception. The way that I left wouldn’t have offended, I didn’t start screaming for a transfer. It just happened and it was the right time for the club to sell – and the right time for me to move on.”

Early pace-setters Coventry beat Norwich 2-0 in their opening match of the Championship campaign and won 2-1 at Barnsley last Saturday.

Adebola said: “Whenever you expect people to do well, they never seem do it and teams that aren’t fancied come to the fore. “Coventry could stay in those (play-off) positions and hopefully we can as well. It’s a big game because we’ve both had big starts.”

No comments: