18 March 2009

Regan down but not out

Bristol Rugby stalwart Mark Regan is out for a month with a torn ligament in his foot but insists his latest injury set-back does not spell the start of his retirement.

Regan, who has announced his intention to retire at the end of the season, had fought back to fitness to feature for the full 80 minutes in a spirited battle at the Memorial Stadium against Leicester Tigers last Friday night.

And he marked his 200th Premiership appearance by playing on to the final whistle despite tearing a ligament.

"I felt something go in my foot and I didn't think much of it at the time," he said.

That 'something' proved to be a one-and-a-half centimetre tear, revealed by an ultrasound scan on Monday afternoon.

The World Cup winner is now confined once more to the physio's room rather than training with his teammates in the spring sunshine.

"I'm having full-on treatment twice a day and I have been on the rowing machine and on the bike," said Regan. "So I'm not a happy chappy as the blokes are all out in the sun."

Bristol Rugby led at half-time against Leicester but fell foul once again to a late score, suffering a 23-17 defeat, the latest set back in their slide towards what is almost certain relegation from the Guinness Premiership.

"Always believe," said Regan, eager to defend Bristol's top-flight tenure for as long as he can.

"There's a little bit of a spring in our step (after that performance). We're not mathematically relegated yet.

"I'm out for three or four weeks so I'm aiming for Wasps at home. I can still play a part but I'm pretty gutted.

"I'll be back for Wasps."

No comments: