12 January 2009

Skuse keen to fill the boots of his Bristol City heroes

Cole Skuse was on the terraces at Anfield when Bristol City last toppled a top-tier team 15 years ago.

And now the Bristol City midfielder has the chance to emulate his heroes against Premier League Portsmouth in the FA Cup third-round replay at Ashton Gate tonight (7.45pm).

“It was talk of the coach when we finished the game at Fratton Park, bringing them back to our place,” said the 22-year-old midfielder. “We fancy ourselves against them.

“It would be a massive result. It’s been a while and the fans are due a big result.”


Bristol born and bred and a product of the club’s academy, Skuse was taken up the M6 for that last big victory in another FA Cup third-round replay, a 1-0 win at Anfield.

“I was a young lad, travelling up in the minibus with my Dad and a few of his friends and a few of my friends,” he said. “I can’t remember the game massively I was only 6 or 7. I can just remember Tins (Brian Tinnion) on his left foot whipping it past the keeper and everybody going home happy.

“Back when I was 6 or 7 I could have only dreamed of playing for my home town club against a top-flight side. Luckily for me it’s happened.

“My phone hasn’t stopped since we drew Portsmouth in the FA Cup with everybody saying ‘all the best, it would be nice if you beat a Premier league side’.” It would be a massive thing for not only me but everyone in Bristol as well.”

City manager Gary Johnson, while keen to play up Pompey’s role as favourites, was also eager to play down a Robins victory as such a mighty upset.

“As I’ve said before, that’s not my fault,” joked Johnson about the 15-year wait for a Premier League scalp. “There’ll be a lot of people who’ll remember that day (at Liverpool). Maybe nowadays it’s not such a big upset. We are where we are. We were one game away from being a Premiership team ourselves.”

Johnson is in an enviable position with a fully-fit squad to chose from for the replay while his opposite number, Portsmouth manager Tony Adams, has lost Sean Davis to a stomach virus. The midfielder missed training yesterday and is unlikely to feature.

Pompey are also still without long-term absentees Papa Bouba Diop (knee) and Richard Hughes (groin) meaning Adams will turn again to youngsters Arnold Mvuemba and Marc Wilson to provide cover, as they did at Fratton Park 10 days ago.

The cup holders do welcome back Ghana international John Utaka, likely to slot into right midfield, and Glenn Johnson, capped for England at right-back.

“I've got people out but don't panic,” said Portsmouth boss Tony Adams. “I've got some good players and I'll hopefully get them into a shape which does the business against Bristol City.

“I'm not so sure about 4-4-2 though,” he added. “I don't think I've got four midfielders.”

The Pompey boss won the FA Cup three times with Arsenal and was assistant to Harry Redknapp when Portsmouth lifted the cup for the second time in their history last May thanks to a goal from Nwanku Kanu who could drop in behind Crouch tonight.

He is not underestimating his opposition though, especially given his first-hand experience of Gary Johnson’s coaching methods. “I had an insight into him when we did our coaching badges together,” said Adams. “All his teams want to play football. He is doing a bloody good job at Bristol City.”
Johnson is 90 minutes away from ensuring 18,000 City fans holler in agreement.
City (from): Basso, Henderson, Fontaine, McAllister, McCombe, Carey, Orr, McIndoe, Johnson, Elliott, Skuse, Sproule, Noble, Williams, Maynard, John, Styvar, Adebola, Akinde.

No comments: