04 October 2008

Perfect start to Butland's England career

BRISTOL goalkeeper Jack Butland marked his England debut with a clean sheet against Northern Ireland as the England Under-16s hammered their hosts 6-0 at the Ballymena Showgrounds.

The 6ft 4in former Clevedon United keeper played for the full 90 minutes but had little to do as his team-mates proved too good for their Irish opponents in the opening fixture of the 2008 Victory Shield.

Butland, who is a member of Birmingham City’s Academy, enjoyed what will probably be one of the most comfortable matches of his career in front of the Sky Sports cameras last Friday.

He said: “It was quiet for me but what I had to do I did well. I didn’t have a shot to save but I was there when I needed to be for pass backs and the like. The coaches were pleased.”

Despite a confident debut, Butland is likely to make way for England’s next match against Wales in Llanelli on October 31 as the rest of the squad are given a chance to shine.

“For the Victory Shield they tend to rotate the players around,” he explained. “Our goalkeeping coach (former Liverpool, Tottenham and England keeper) Ray Clemence said I shouldn’t worry if I don’t play against Wales. Obviously I have had a chance and shown them what I can do.

“It was the biggest match I’ve played so far and I’m looking forward to more of them.”

The 15-year-old Clevedon Community School pupil described lining up for the anthems as a “special moment” and is hoping to be handed the number one jersey against Scotland in the final Victory Shield match as the squad seek to retain the trophy.

No comments: